How to Get an eTA to Canada

Canada requires certain citizenships to apply online before you fly.


Do I need an eVisa for Canada?

At this time, visitors to Canada do not have the option to apply for an eVisa to replace their tourist visa. Where the confusion lies is that Canada recently implemented an eTA, or Electronic Transit Authorization. Do you require one? Find out more with Sherpa.

What’s an eTA for travel to Canada?

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for foreign nationals flying to or transiting through Canada. After applying, the eTA is linked to your specific passport electronically. Nothing physical (stamp or photo) is added to your passport.


Who needs an eTA?

Visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to, or transit through a Canadian airport, need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

Visa-exempt travellers do not need an eTA when entering Canada by land (e.g. car or bus) or sea (e.g. cruise ship).


How long is an eTA good for?

An eTA can be valid for up to five years or until your passport expires. If you get a new passport, you will need to get a new eTA. With a valid eTA you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays (normally for up to six months at a time). To check if you need a visa to visit Canada you can check here.


How do I apply for an eTA?

You can apply online. The cost is $7 CAD. Click here to apply for your eTA. As always, Travel Easy!